Sunday 24 March 2013

Ravelrig Riding for the Disabled

Ravelrig Riding for the Disabled (RRDA) launched their ambitious plans for a new indoor riding arena on Friday. They already do wonderful work with committed volunteers and lots of demand for their therapeutic and recreational services. Problem is that historically, and currently, they are at the mercy of the Scottish weather. And believe me, Balerno is still covered with snow when it is long forgotten in the city centre. Obviously the bad weather, rain, frost, snow, leads to a lot a cancelled sessions which equals a lot of disappointed youngsters and volunteers. It also leads to issues about keeping the horses trained and disciplined (not that I'm an expert). So, a covered arena would allow them to operate 52 weeks a year and satisfy some more of the demand that is out there. For every disabled person using RRDA there are 4 or 5 on a waiting list. They even have a waiting list for volunteers ! Their plans include the indoor arena, new stables and office and meeting room accommodation and look very impressive. Their fundraising target is £1.8m which is a lot of money but they are well organised, well supported and well respected for the work they do so I'm confident they can achieve their ambition. Admittedly, I'm not what you would call a horsey person but very much enjoyed my visit to the launch event and even though I didn't actually see a horse, one could feel their presence. Went away with a distinctive smell in my nostrils and a mild asthma attack ! I probably wouldn't be much use to them as a volunteer....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me and 2 friends are actually going to raise money for the RDA because we think that it is a fabulous charity and is doing a great thing - also we have a close bond with horses and I've worked there with my school before and I love all the staff and horses!

Ricky Henderson said...

Anonymous, many thanks for your message. I'm pleased to hear that you and your friends enjoy going to and supporting RRDA and in particular that you are raising money for them. Good luck and best wishes in your efforts, if there's anything I can do to help just get in touch.